Dear Simmons Families,
I am excited to be a part of the Simmons community where the focus of education includes a commitment to academic excellence and good citizenship. We strive to provide a safe and caring environment for learning where both effort and achievement are celebrated. Our teachers implement the use of research based curriculum and instructional strategies that provide students with numerous opportunities to reach their potential.
Academic achievement is supported by a partnership between teachers and families that fosters open communication, teamwork, problem solving, responsibility, and respect. Research shows that the more involved parents are in their child’s education, the more the child succeeds. Parents are encouraged to get involved in their child’s education by taking an active interest in their learning and volunteering on campus through classroom activities, parent education opportunities, fundraisers, PTO, and other school events. Ways that parents can support education at home include:
- Be sure that your child sleeps at least 8 hours every night and eats a good breakfast
- Be sure that your child knows that you value learning – let them see you read or read with them. Ask them questions about what they read such as, “What do you think will happen next?” or “Why do you think the character did that?” Reading is like every other skill… The more you practice, the better you get.
- Each night, ask your child to tell you one thing that they learned that day
- Work with your child to be sure that they memorize their math facts that are the basis for success in math (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division)
When the school, home, and child work together, the child receives the best possible education. We are very proud of our students and we look forward to an exciting and rewarding school year together.
Mrs. Jaemie Johnson
Welcome Simmons Dolphins!
We are committed to the success of our 400 scholars! Our highly-qualified, caring teachers equip students with the academic and personal skills needed for lifelong success.
- Simmons provides 1:1 computer to student ratio with Chromebooks and iPads for every student to use during project-based learning and as part of daily instruction.
- During the summer, Simmons received brand new air-conditioning, remodeled classrooms, and energy-efficient technology.
- Simmons’s strong choral and instrumental music program bring out the inner musician in each student.
- Simmons provides free tutoring and interventions to help all students succeed!
- Simmons offers an engaging College and Career Mentoring Program that pairs elementary school students with college mentors who serve as positive role models, provide help with school work, and promote positive self-esteem.
- Simmons Parents in Action Program provides powerful opportunities for parents to participate in school activities, including parent/student playtime at recess three days per week, and important classes for parents on topics including child nutrition, school safety, and helping students succeed. Parents are encouraged to attend events like Muffins with Moms and Donuts for Dad to demonstrate our deep gratitude for all their work on campus. To get involved in the PTO, parents may call our office or pay us a visit! We look forward to recruiting more active, hard working members to enhance the schooling experience.
- Our Boys & Girls Club is active every day after school for grades 2-6. Scholars enrolled learn the importance of extracurricular activity and collaboration as they participate in fun activities. Our highly trained staff also assists students with homework help and academics.
- Here at Simmons, we believe in rewarding students for all the effort they invest in their accomplishments. We hold Trimester Awards to celebrate those students who meet and exceed state standards in English Language Arts. Dolphin Pride awards are presented to students who demonstrate accountability and responsibility for their learning. Monthly awards are presented for attendance, school spirit, and character traits. These awards motivate students to set goals for themselves and achieve them.
- We have a school-wide focus on health and nutrition with a free fruit and vegetable program, 100 Mile Running Club, and Harvest of the Month which encourages students to try new healthy food options with fun, engaging lessons.
We look forward to academically thriving as a community this school year. Good luck Dolphins!